Skip to main content

You have to go out on a limb if you want to get the fruit.

On Monday, one of the Catholic patients at the Rehab Institute was talking to me about different churches throughout Chicagoland and recommended that I check out Saint Sabina at 78th and Racine. He said to go to the 11:15AM, bring ear plugs, to be thankful for the little hand fans they put in each pew, and be prepared to be there for 3 or 4 hours.

I didn't need the fan, I'm glad I didn't bring ear plugs - though my ears were slightly overwhelmed afterwards, and I looked at the time as I got back in my truck afterwards: 3:05.


It was easy to get to, just a coupla mile straight shot off I-94. The neighborhood was relatively run down, up to about a block around the church, where things were in a little better shape. I walked in 20 minutes early to a lot of hustle and bustle of people getting situated and lot of various ministers preparing. Today happened to be their long-anticipated Youth Mass, so there were tons of red shirts everywhere, the active youth. On the far wall, in the center, was a huge painting of two large hands extending from the sky and presenting a black guy in a white gown with his own hands outstretched, with one of those all-peaceful smiles. The electric-neon red lettering hanging from the ceiling right over the middle of the sanctuary very simply reminded us who this was: "Jesus".

I was continually amazed through the entire Mass, and very happy to be there. I can't even begin to do it justice with my description here. Of the probably 500 people there, I'd guess I was one of only 20 people not of African descent. They truly celebrated their heritage, yet were very welcoming. One of the youth girls sang a beautiful solo in Spanish, it being obviously her first language, and then repeating it in English.

I knew that the pastor was white, from skimming the website before I went, and was kind've curious about how he would factor into the mix. The program for the afternoon mentioned that he was the celebrant but that others would be preaching, and he'd be accompanied by a black deacon. You know the typical imagery we're given of gospel music and televised praise & worship services, where the pastor/cantor kinda leads the congregation with repeated questions, repeated "JEsus.... JEsus...", "Can I get an AMEN!", etc... and there is a lot of passion injected into his words, etc... Well, during the opening procession, and towards the end of it, I heard someone taking this role, with a microphone, but couldn't really see initially who it was. To be absolutely honest, the person sounded black, if that's a PC thing for me to say. Just based on all the emotion and intensity and ways of wording things. So you can imagine my surprise when I see that it was the pastor. As white as this guy physically was, you could immediately tell that he was black. His heart was truly with and a part of his parish. At one point in the Mass, when all the youth who would soon be leaving for college were up there being prayed over, he was trying to encourage them and telling them how so many people they will encounter will be trying to discourage them... the part that clinched his "blackness" was when he used the word nigger in a story of someone's struggles. You could really tell he had the heart of his parish.

I really felt free to worship there. I know a portion of that freedom was because I knew fewer people so my self-consciousness was decreased, but my freedom also came from the combination of 1) myself being comfortable with praise and worship, charismatic worship sessions, and 2) being able to trust (to some degree) the theological soundness of this since it was a Catholic Mass. What I mean by "trust" is that I was able to open myself more fully to worship, to be led to worship, without having to second-guess quite so much of the direction. And this was confirmed at the end, when I could look back on it all and truly agree with it all.

The post title comes from one of the 2 young adults that were invited to preach after the gospel. They both gave very powerful, well thought out words of wisdom. This one came from Ramona. Christian went before her, and he took us through 3 points to work on: 1) You have to know yourself as God knows you, first and foremost, rather than how others know you. 2) You have to seek a close, intimate relationship with God, pursuing utter obedience to His guidance. 3) You have to be consistent. It has to be every day, not just Sunday. That's a brief summary of his, and as he concluded I realized he had just rephrased our life mission as suggested by the Catholic Catechism, to 1) know, 2) love, and 3) serve the Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

free shtuff!

Yesterday I came across a very cool free resource... so you know how designers can find online libraries of fonts as well as high quality, high resolution graphics and photographs? These are usually pay sites. Well check out stock.xchng . Wowsers. Don't be scared off by the required registration... it's all free! Looks like I won't be needing to take a digital camera to any of the tourist traps that I plan on visiting in my lifetime, I can just mooch better pics of said locations from this site! Makes for excellent browsing for awesome desktop background images. It's like Webshots on steroids. It's like discovering Google Maps after having just used MapQuest . (ps- Google Local now offers that map functionality fully integrated ..) Stumbling across that site set my mind rolling on free stuff. I just realized how my professional focus on open source software has been an extension of an interest in free stuff that I had back in high school . (for t

You wouldn't happen to have a few dollars so I can pay my electric bill, would you?

Friday during the day I had very little planned for the evening. I expected to go to the Havard's to jog with Robert-Michael and make some final arrangements for dog-sitting for them. I also made some last-minute plans to briefly join a group of friend's celebrating Allison's birthday, who I've gotten to know recently through a Lenten faith-sharing group. They intended to continue the celebrations later into the evening watching basketball, but I had a number of missed calls from Charles, so I ducked out halfway through. I'm also not much of a March Madness fan, which I know is blasphemy. :) Charles is a neighbor of mine with no steady employment who bikes around the neighborhood and near Notre Dame asking people for money and collecting cans and any scrap items he can recycle or pawn. When I first met him, he readily accepted prayers from me and a few friends, and told us how important smiling is as we parted ways. I've never given him money in the num

Pouno mega dat - What a terrible thing

As I sat in the back of the scout truck, bumping along an especially pock-marked portion of the highway during our return to Banjul , one of my brothers who sat back there with me - Abdoulie - taught me a new phrase. After a particularly jarring pothole, it is appropriate to mutter " Pouno mega dat !". I gave him an "Oy vey!" in return. See me for the proper pronunciation. That's a completely arbitrary approximation, as there is no standard written form of Mandinka. My brain is exploding. I've been attending a Friday afternoon service at a Muslim Mosque downtown with my co-worker Mehdi for awhile now, I think I've been 4 times now. I'm looking at Hindu-Christian dialogue via a book recommendation I received a couple weeks ago about a Catholic Sanyasi , a seeming contradiction in terms. I've discovered that I can possibly embrace my Jewish heritage more fully by learning the ways of Messianic Judaism. I'm arriving very close to my rel