Skip to main content

Oración a Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe

... Patrona de México y Emperatriz de las Américas
Madre Santísima de Guadalupe. Madre de Jesús,
   condúcenos hacia tu Divino Hijo por el camino del
   Evangelio, para que nuestra vida sea el complimiento
   generosa de la voluntad de Dios.
Condúcenos a Jesús, que se nos manifiesta y se nos da en la
   Palabra revelada y en el Pan de la Eucaristía.
Danos una fe firme, una esperanza sobrenatural, una
   caridad ardiente, y una fidelidad viva a nuestra vocación
   de bautizados.
Ayúdanos a ser agradecidos a Dios, exigentes con nosotros
   mismos, y llenos de amor para con nuestros hermanos.
   Amén.


Today (what's left of it) was the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. This is a huge day for the Hispanic culture, and that includes our very own Pilsen neighborhood in Chicago. My friend Fr. Jim Collins concelebrated a 5:00AM Mass for the occasion. The Mariachi band started at 4:30, and there was a free breakfast afterwards in St. Procopius' school gymnasium. I've grown accustomed to being immersed in 100% spanish whenever I'm there, save the few brief moments that Jim gets to say hello to me. The church was filled to the brim, including people lining the back and some of the side walls. Pretty impressive for such an early celebration.

After the reference to learning a new language that I mentioned a couple posts ago, I've not thought quite so negatively of my desire to become proficient at spanish..

Popular posts from this blog

Five Months Ago

This day five months ago my life underwent a tremendous transition. I embarked on a new journey with Cathy. Her home became my home, and mine hers. We vowed to join together in this life as an act of faith in the kingdom of God here today. These five months have been filled with a combination of new roller coaster rides and the delicate hidden changes that happen inside a cocoon. Hallelujah! Praise God for his goodness and the life he gives us to be his new creation!

our Ford Explorer saga

Two weeks ago, Cathy & I drove up Greenlawn Ave heading toward my house, and when we took the left turn onto Cedar, I accelerated out of the turn in hope of fishtailing a little bit on the snow before straightening out, which I enjoy and feel like a race car driver when I do it. This time, instead of straightening out, my Explorer continued to rotate and turn on the ice, eventually sliding perpendicular to path of the road. We were slowing down, but not enough to avoid hopping the curb and giving a tree a little tap. It didn't sound too bad, but when I got out and looked, I saw a bumper bent in, headlights on one side cracked open, and the impact bending a side fender, contorting the wheel well. My heart dropped a little bit, I grimaced, and asked myself and Cathy why I had decided to do that. Approaching the holidays and the wedding, we did not need any new complications. We had a full day planned, so I put it out of my mind and decided I would get a quote on the repairs ...