Skip to main content

Information Overload!

Human beings are adaptable. That is the assumption upon which I rest my patient but ever-increasing "research" - if it can even be called that - on the global internet. It started out with the occasional search engine query in high school, to more of that in college plus plenty of geekology, to an explosion towards the end of college ('03) and continuing today.

As internet consumption increased globally, so eventually did internet production, and with that production has grown my own consumption. It was once a network of academics, a bunch of geeks illuminating the [techno]logical portion of my brain. I crawled online first through a local dialup bulletin board system, which managed to give me a real email address, not just one local to that system. Now I'm up on the surfboard, riding wave after wave of information pertaining to nearly every aspect of my life. In fact, the raw volume has helped both hone and broaden my interests.

My arrival in Chicago ignited a fresh tidal wave of information. It stoked the search engine. Does it make any sense that the windy liberal city has brought form, body, definition, to my conservatism?

Anywho, the whole point of this post was to mention that if you are getting information overload thanks to technology, like I am, you should further your utilization of technology to streamline and prioritize the information, rather than simply burning out and either riding the wave sporadically, or riding the wrong wave. With information comes misinformation.

To follow, in InfoOver part II, will be some concrete recommendations. In the meantime, meditate on why you talk more than you read. :-P

Popular posts from this blog

Five Months Ago

This day five months ago my life underwent a tremendous transition. I embarked on a new journey with Cathy. Her home became my home, and mine hers. We vowed to join together in this life as an act of faith in the kingdom of God here today. These five months have been filled with a combination of new roller coaster rides and the delicate hidden changes that happen inside a cocoon. Hallelujah! Praise God for his goodness and the life he gives us to be his new creation!

our Ford Explorer saga

Two weeks ago, Cathy & I drove up Greenlawn Ave heading toward my house, and when we took the left turn onto Cedar, I accelerated out of the turn in hope of fishtailing a little bit on the snow before straightening out, which I enjoy and feel like a race car driver when I do it. This time, instead of straightening out, my Explorer continued to rotate and turn on the ice, eventually sliding perpendicular to path of the road. We were slowing down, but not enough to avoid hopping the curb and giving a tree a little tap. It didn't sound too bad, but when I got out and looked, I saw a bumper bent in, headlights on one side cracked open, and the impact bending a side fender, contorting the wheel well. My heart dropped a little bit, I grimaced, and asked myself and Cathy why I had decided to do that. Approaching the holidays and the wedding, we did not need any new complications. We had a full day planned, so I put it out of my mind and decided I would get a quote on the repairs ...