I've recently realized how much the Pope speaks to the world. He has something to say to everyone. I have no doubt that he could have an intense conversation with you, and draw out and illuminate the image of God that you were born with. He has been in the U.S. this week, and I'm most amazed at the depth of content that he prepared and reflected on during each of his various visits. Below are his speeches verbatim, from just this trip:
- Press Conference Aboard Papal Flight - "I Go to the United States With Joy"
- Pontiff's Address at White House - "Faith Sheds New Light on All Things" (Bush responds)
- Benedict XVI's Address to US Bishops - "The People of This Country Are Known for Their Great Vitality and Creativity"
- Pope's Homily at Nationals Stadium - "Americans Have Always Been a People of Hope"
- Benedict XVI's Address to Catholic Educators - "Freedom Is Not an Opting out, it Is an Opting In"
- Pontiff's Greeting to Jewish Community - "The Past 40 Years Has Fundamentally Changed Our Relationship for the Better"
- Benedict XVI's Address to United Nations - "Human Rights ... Must Be Respected As an Expression of Justice"
- Papal Address to UN Staff - "I Would Like to Express My Personal Appreciation"
- Pope's Homily Durning Mass at St. Patrick's - "Communicate the Joy Born of Faith and the Experience of God’s Love"
- Papal Greeting to Jewish Leaders - "Continue Building Bridges of Friendship"
- Pontiff's Address at Ecumenical Prayer Service - "A Faithful Witness to the Gospel Is As Urgent As Ever"
- Pope's Address to Young People With Disabilities - "God Has Blessed You With Life"
- Pope's Meeting With Youth and Seminarians - "God Is Our Origin and Our Destination, and Jesus the Way"
- Papal Prayer at Ground Zero - "God of Peace, Bring Your Peace to Our Violent World"
- Benedict XVI's Homily at Yankee's Stadium - "Look to the Future With Hope" (Cardinal's welcome)
- Benedict XVI's New York Farewell Address - "I Assure You of My Affection and Friendship in the Lord" (Cheney responds)
Holy cow that's a lot of speaking! The theme for the visit has been "Christ our Hope", and I noticed that in some of his content directed towards Jews, he set the meeting topic as "Peace our Hope".
(Update: Benedict sent some telegrams to various heads of state during his return flight.)