Skip to main content

The Gambia, version 1.2

I'm writing this from the computer lab at the Banjul American Embassy School where Rebecca is teaching Kindergarten, she has 9 kids at the moment... none appear to be of African descent, but that's the only commonality amongst them. Two of them are fast readers and very expressive facially. Another has a lazy eye, is from England, and goes "bonkers" when he sits in the wrong person's seat. Another couple speak very little English and much more Arabic. Another wears glasses and likes to throws his hands up and grasp his head or hit it whenever he makes a mistake. Another has a bouncy voice and is a little mischevious. Another is the "little prince" who is led by his own (short) attention span, though he can't seem to help it. One of the boys isn't here today. (note: Sorry for the edit, names in this context are inappropriate. Also, 3 of them are in fact of African descent!)

When more of the grade levels all lined up this morning, and then we all walked towards our classrooms, Rebecca pointed out to me the President's daughter who is schooling here, her nanny, and a couple of bodyguards who maintain a comfortable distance. I never even got a look at her face, but I had this unexpected (internal of course) burst of emotion just thinking about how beautiful it is that she's here in this environment, and that this school is here for her. Reason it seems so important to me is that the President is very popular for a variety of reasons.

Yesterday we spent the day with Ana taking us around, much time at her own compound, and some time at a crocodile pool with *many* crocs and many historical cultural exhibits, right in Bakau. We went to the market, and went out to the public dock at the beach and walked out to the end of it. We've got some cool pictures and video that will get up here when we return.

The flight went well. We are heading back out right now to get some bean sandwhiches, to see more of the Bakau market. Over the next couple days we will see Abdoulie, Dembo, Sirif, play some football (soccer), go to a club, listen do DuDu play the Kora, I will hopefully make it to a 7am Mass tomorrow morning, and early early Sunday morning we will take a GellyGelly (spelling? name they give the local public transportation between villages, buses jam packed with people, animals, and personal belongings) out to Dankunku with Dembo and spend a couple days there, return on Tuesday. Both trips will take an entire day. We will have perhaps two days back here before we get back on our plane on Friday night.

Popular posts from this blog

free shtuff!

Yesterday I came across a very cool free resource... so you know how designers can find online libraries of fonts as well as high quality, high resolution graphics and photographs? These are usually pay sites. Well check out stock.xchng . Wowsers. Don't be scared off by the required registration... it's all free! Looks like I won't be needing to take a digital camera to any of the tourist traps that I plan on visiting in my lifetime, I can just mooch better pics of said locations from this site! Makes for excellent browsing for awesome desktop background images. It's like Webshots on steroids. It's like discovering Google Maps after having just used MapQuest . (ps- Google Local now offers that map functionality fully integrated ..) Stumbling across that site set my mind rolling on free stuff. I just realized how my professional focus on open source software has been an extension of an interest in free stuff that I had back in high school . (for t

You wouldn't happen to have a few dollars so I can pay my electric bill, would you?

Friday during the day I had very little planned for the evening. I expected to go to the Havard's to jog with Robert-Michael and make some final arrangements for dog-sitting for them. I also made some last-minute plans to briefly join a group of friend's celebrating Allison's birthday, who I've gotten to know recently through a Lenten faith-sharing group. They intended to continue the celebrations later into the evening watching basketball, but I had a number of missed calls from Charles, so I ducked out halfway through. I'm also not much of a March Madness fan, which I know is blasphemy. :) Charles is a neighbor of mine with no steady employment who bikes around the neighborhood and near Notre Dame asking people for money and collecting cans and any scrap items he can recycle or pawn. When I first met him, he readily accepted prayers from me and a few friends, and told us how important smiling is as we parted ways. I've never given him money in the num

Pouno mega dat - What a terrible thing

As I sat in the back of the scout truck, bumping along an especially pock-marked portion of the highway during our return to Banjul , one of my brothers who sat back there with me - Abdoulie - taught me a new phrase. After a particularly jarring pothole, it is appropriate to mutter " Pouno mega dat !". I gave him an "Oy vey!" in return. See me for the proper pronunciation. That's a completely arbitrary approximation, as there is no standard written form of Mandinka. My brain is exploding. I've been attending a Friday afternoon service at a Muslim Mosque downtown with my co-worker Mehdi for awhile now, I think I've been 4 times now. I'm looking at Hindu-Christian dialogue via a book recommendation I received a couple weeks ago about a Catholic Sanyasi , a seeming contradiction in terms. I've discovered that I can possibly embrace my Jewish heritage more fully by learning the ways of Messianic Judaism. I'm arriving very close to my rel