Skip to main content

Stumbling along..

I guess we could go back a couple weeks. Two weeks ago tomorrow, I left the house at around 6:45, having overslept and missed an early departure time to try to make it to Chicago before the marathon started. I discovered my dash kinda broken up and my cd player was gone (reminiscent of this happening 2 years ago and me not replacing it until 2 months ago). I stopped by Tom's house and picked up Bo and then headed to the train station. There were more people on there than usual (from the times when I used to commute), lots of excitement about the marathon. At some point we discovered that Sheila was on the same train so we went back and sat by her, and when we got into the city we tried to make it over to see the lead pack as they passed the 12 mile mark, but the timing was too close and they were too fast. We ended up seeing my roommate Pete, once in Chinatown, and I saw him close to the finish but the others couldn't pick him out. He dropped nearly an hour off his time (!!!) to run ~ 3:50. I saw various other faces I recognized, and we met up with a few friends on the northside for brunch and then missed our return train.... by seconds.... and made a quick trip to the Sears tower while waiting for the next train 2 hours later. We had actually made Pete run to catch the first train, and we still didn't make it.

This past weekend, Pete & I took part in St. Bavo's semi-annual (that's twice a year, not every other year) mens Christ Renews His Parish retreat. It's similarity with Kairos from college (of which many students had also gone to one in high school) was striking. It was basically a 2-day version of Kairos and only for men. (there is also one for women) I guess the only specific difference was the availability of Christ Himself for 24-hour adoration the entire time in the chapel, and past team members signed up for an hour each to sit with Him so that He was never... "unadored" in that room.

Jumping to last night, Thursday, Pete and I went to a followup meeting. Discussions that evening: preceding the evening with Mark, at the meeting with all the men, and following the evening with Pete, I was repeatedly exposed to the dilemma of where to commit my energy. The whole topic of "priorities" has been something that I've dealt with pretty strongly since college, trying to always analyze what I'm doing with my life and where my priorities are and where they should be... and it's not surprise to me that everybody else deals with this too, but yet another aspect of "life in common", "community life", is that I get to see and experience how people mesh these priorities with other people's. For me, the topic has always been a very internal one, and if anything I am sharing my thoughts with people. But now, being a part of a community where we actively strive to improve each other and seek God's will together, I'm struggling through and learning yet another form of ecumenism. What are my priorities as a Christian? What are my priorities as a Catholic? Narrow is the path. But it's so exciting to be encouraged in all of this, by people from such varied life experiences and different theologies, all holding great respect for what I discern to be the voice of God in my life.

One:Ten Communications unveiled a shiny new website. Emmaus Project is in it's infancy stage. Lucky Prompt is converting people to Ruby and running. I'm going paintballing tonight with 13 or 14 7th graders, for the first time ever. For the first time in over 3 years, I'm taking care of my teeth.

Popular posts from this blog

free shtuff!

Yesterday I came across a very cool free resource... so you know how designers can find online libraries of fonts as well as high quality, high resolution graphics and photographs? These are usually pay sites. Well check out stock.xchng . Wowsers. Don't be scared off by the required registration... it's all free! Looks like I won't be needing to take a digital camera to any of the tourist traps that I plan on visiting in my lifetime, I can just mooch better pics of said locations from this site! Makes for excellent browsing for awesome desktop background images. It's like Webshots on steroids. It's like discovering Google Maps after having just used MapQuest . (ps- Google Local now offers that map functionality fully integrated ..) Stumbling across that site set my mind rolling on free stuff. I just realized how my professional focus on open source software has been an extension of an interest in free stuff that I had back in high school . (for t

You wouldn't happen to have a few dollars so I can pay my electric bill, would you?

Friday during the day I had very little planned for the evening. I expected to go to the Havard's to jog with Robert-Michael and make some final arrangements for dog-sitting for them. I also made some last-minute plans to briefly join a group of friend's celebrating Allison's birthday, who I've gotten to know recently through a Lenten faith-sharing group. They intended to continue the celebrations later into the evening watching basketball, but I had a number of missed calls from Charles, so I ducked out halfway through. I'm also not much of a March Madness fan, which I know is blasphemy. :) Charles is a neighbor of mine with no steady employment who bikes around the neighborhood and near Notre Dame asking people for money and collecting cans and any scrap items he can recycle or pawn. When I first met him, he readily accepted prayers from me and a few friends, and told us how important smiling is as we parted ways. I've never given him money in the num

Pouno mega dat - What a terrible thing

As I sat in the back of the scout truck, bumping along an especially pock-marked portion of the highway during our return to Banjul , one of my brothers who sat back there with me - Abdoulie - taught me a new phrase. After a particularly jarring pothole, it is appropriate to mutter " Pouno mega dat !". I gave him an "Oy vey!" in return. See me for the proper pronunciation. That's a completely arbitrary approximation, as there is no standard written form of Mandinka. My brain is exploding. I've been attending a Friday afternoon service at a Muslim Mosque downtown with my co-worker Mehdi for awhile now, I think I've been 4 times now. I'm looking at Hindu-Christian dialogue via a book recommendation I received a couple weeks ago about a Catholic Sanyasi , a seeming contradiction in terms. I've discovered that I can possibly embrace my Jewish heritage more fully by learning the ways of Messianic Judaism. I'm arriving very close to my rel