Skip to main content

"Now if your experience of Christ's love and encouragement means anything to you..."

A week in the life of a PoP Community [cult] member:

Sunday: The Havards were going to a later Mass but I decided to join Peter at the 9am, which meant that the homily was given by Deacon Kevin Ranaghan at St. Bavo's. Among other things, he got to share about his recent trip to Rome from an ecumenical perspective.

Monday: Stayed late at work. Each day is fractionally more recognizable as a normal job concerning material that I have a slightly remote clue about. That evening I did some reading from a chapter in "Models of the Church" in preparation for a retreat in a couple weeks.

Tuesday: Caught a 5:30pm Mass at a small church kinda near work, unfortunately they only have it twice a week. Home in time for a casual dinner with a couple of the kids... dinners have been very sporadic lately, arriving at the end of the baseball and softball seasons for Mark-Allen and Christine. Drove to the community men's meeting with Peter, which was half praise & worship, a testimony, and small groups praying over each other, then half a social with homemade (good) pizza and pop/wine/beer on tap. Got to spend some time catching up with Eric Boughton, a great guy from a great family who might be moving in the near future. We briefly lived together one summer here in SB, right before he met his wife-to-be, April. He's considering a job in Portland, where there is another community branch and April's side of the family. Also more time with Gene Stowe, who brought his entire family here from Charlotte 13 years ago to increase their life in common. This is a monthly meeting consisting of all the men in the branch and any guests. Mark was going to be late from working with a client at home, but it was great to see him show up with Mark-Allen in tow! There were probably 60 guys there, oh and the testimony was from a guy who grew up in the community, but didn't really get interested in it until late in his college career at BSU in Muncie, due to the encouragement of the Muncie campus fellowship team. I musta been in elementary at the time, also in the Muncie branch. :)

Wednesday: My night for dishes & the washer/dryer is all mine to use, so I was busy with that, looks like the last load of all the random bags of clothes I brought with me but hadn't unpacked from Chicago. Catching bits and pieces of the weekly live video feed from Louisiana, courtesy of CityBuilder. Their technology is still very young so there are a fair number of stalls. Later in the evening, went to Corby's Irish Pub downtown with a few of the young adult singles to catch up and continue discussing future plans. Back by about midnight..

Thursday: Left immediately from work to go to Chicago for the 2nd planning meeting for the retreat, plus phone calls with friends. Talked to Eric Bomkamp on the way there, been friends with him longer than anyone else, he's on the verge of buying a house and living with a couple other single guys in the Rockford IL branch. He grew up 2 blocks away from me in Muncie, so close that our parents shared parental discipline methods... if you know what I mean... :) On the way back, I talked to Rochelle, a nurse and former JVCer in Chicago that I met shortly before I moved. Long conversation that did a great job of keeping me awake for a drive that got me home at 1:15am.

Friday: Stayed late at work, but partly just to catch more of Wednesday's archived CityBuilder videocast. Then relaxed and messed around in the pool with the kids. Household rules for the pool are the buddy system including at least 1 adult either in the vicinity or actually with them, which is smart. Wasn't quite expecting the buddy system to be required for adults too, but again, it's smart. Stayed up pretty late watching TV..

Saturday: Slept in, woke up to the smell of burnt pancakes wafting all the way down into the basement bedroom, and found Katie-Ann upstairs cleaning her pots with the vent on full blast. :) Got some more piano practicing in, which has been great since I haven't lived with a piano since high school. Eventually went for a run with Peter, right around midday - HOT! - and did around 6 miles, down to the river and back, continuing his marathon training. Swam a couple different times that afternoon/evening, a casual Lord's Day celebration with the family, and eventually headed in town to Fiddler's Hearth to meet a few more folks and catch some great live music. High quality, except that the Blue Moon comes in bottles w/out an orange slice.

Sunday: St. Bavo's again this week. We were expecting a guy from Hawaii to be joining us, but he didn't make it until mid-morning after Mass. Mike Stapp grew up in Southern Indiana but has been in school in Hawaii for a few years. He went to play baseball but is now just studying and working, and he encountered the Oahu branch while he was there, and has now been with them for about 5 months, as probably their youngest adult at the age of 23. He flew back for a friend's wedding and decided to contact SB to try to experience life in one of the large branches. He's been here a few days, staying with a slightly older single guy, Randy Peterson, who is Trinity Schools' Athletics Director. Randy contacted Peter to see if Mike could spend the day with us, as he'd be out of town and to give Mike more exposure yet to the young adult life in the branch. Mike met the Havards, came back later in the afternoon for a small pool party with a neighboring family, stuck around for dinner, and then joined us at a pickup soccer game on one of ND's fields. "Pickup game" usually suggests some degree of skill level, but fortunately for my sake and Mike's, that bar was very low. It meant for a very fun and entertaining evening, with a great group of young adults, around half and half community/non-community members.

Earlier in the day, Mike, Peter, and I had a great conversation about the many colored perceptions there are regarding the People of Praise. They got a kick out of my choice of titles for my senior paper about it: "Life in a Cult" But seriously, what else do you call something like this that would allow Mike to have a jam-packed half-week of good things to do, in a town where he previously knew zero people? And vice-versa, how else could I visit any of these cities and be certain of having a welcoming home to stay in and trust levels that represent Christ-like relationships, amongst people of all different vocations, without recognizing a single face? That is the strength of our covenant.

Popular posts from this blog

free shtuff!

Yesterday I came across a very cool free resource... so you know how designers can find online libraries of fonts as well as high quality, high resolution graphics and photographs? These are usually pay sites. Well check out stock.xchng . Wowsers. Don't be scared off by the required registration... it's all free! Looks like I won't be needing to take a digital camera to any of the tourist traps that I plan on visiting in my lifetime, I can just mooch better pics of said locations from this site! Makes for excellent browsing for awesome desktop background images. It's like Webshots on steroids. It's like discovering Google Maps after having just used MapQuest . (ps- Google Local now offers that map functionality fully integrated ..) Stumbling across that site set my mind rolling on free stuff. I just realized how my professional focus on open source software has been an extension of an interest in free stuff that I had back in high school . (for t

You wouldn't happen to have a few dollars so I can pay my electric bill, would you?

Friday during the day I had very little planned for the evening. I expected to go to the Havard's to jog with Robert-Michael and make some final arrangements for dog-sitting for them. I also made some last-minute plans to briefly join a group of friend's celebrating Allison's birthday, who I've gotten to know recently through a Lenten faith-sharing group. They intended to continue the celebrations later into the evening watching basketball, but I had a number of missed calls from Charles, so I ducked out halfway through. I'm also not much of a March Madness fan, which I know is blasphemy. :) Charles is a neighbor of mine with no steady employment who bikes around the neighborhood and near Notre Dame asking people for money and collecting cans and any scrap items he can recycle or pawn. When I first met him, he readily accepted prayers from me and a few friends, and told us how important smiling is as we parted ways. I've never given him money in the num

Pouno mega dat - What a terrible thing

As I sat in the back of the scout truck, bumping along an especially pock-marked portion of the highway during our return to Banjul , one of my brothers who sat back there with me - Abdoulie - taught me a new phrase. After a particularly jarring pothole, it is appropriate to mutter " Pouno mega dat !". I gave him an "Oy vey!" in return. See me for the proper pronunciation. That's a completely arbitrary approximation, as there is no standard written form of Mandinka. My brain is exploding. I've been attending a Friday afternoon service at a Muslim Mosque downtown with my co-worker Mehdi for awhile now, I think I've been 4 times now. I'm looking at Hindu-Christian dialogue via a book recommendation I received a couple weeks ago about a Catholic Sanyasi , a seeming contradiction in terms. I've discovered that I can possibly embrace my Jewish heritage more fully by learning the ways of Messianic Judaism. I'm arriving very close to my rel