Skip to main content

memorial day

Yesterday late afternoon, Don came up here and we drove to Sean's place (making a total of zero back tracks, a new record!), got a tour of the awesome new layout of the 2nd floor of his parent's place. His new bedroom will be pretty nice. Then we went and got some grub and alcohol at... Bourbon Street? I think that was the name of it. I had crawfish, but I felt a little like Tom Hanks in Castaway, when he felt real uneasy about eating these huge crab legs on a buffet table. I had previously really enjoyed crawdads (crawfish) on a backpacking trip when all we did was boil them and dip them in butter. The rice/butter/garlic sauce was alright, but there was just so much! :)

We then went to the annual Irish Fest that Sean goes to. We wandered around a bit, checked out some of the artwork/jewelry/clothes that were being sold, and then went over to the concert tent and got as close to the stage as we could... about 75 feet back, I'd say. "The Saw Doctors" came out and you could definitely tell they were an Irish group, playing for an Irish audience! Everybody loved them, and were really moving to the music. I really enjoyed the experience... both the music, and seeing how people appreciated it (except, perhaps, for the occasional drunk). This page may give you a little insight into how good they were. It was fun watching a group of 3 or 4 couples, probably late 20s, really enjoy what was probably one of their favorite bands. There also looked like there were some relatives of the band towards the front, or at least major groupies - an entire family w/ a few really young kids, obviously enjoying it all! There were a few times where the sax player really took it away, and one time I really felt swept up in how the sounds he created danced around the rhythm the rest of the players were creating, and crescendo'd... w/ the crowd getting noticeably more into it / active, synchronized with the sax's approach towards climax.

I'm going nowhere for Memorial Day. I've got to sit here and do laundry and pack. This upcoming week I'll be driving back and forth between work, LaPorte, and my new apartment in Chicago. Next weekend I'll have to get the moving all finished up, and finally get settled in.

I've been trying to really establish myself in LinkedIn. I read a good WashingtonPost article about the service, and have also been following a pretty good blog, Spiderware.com whose author is really sold on the future of LinkedIn. I'm having to send a lot of
unsolicited emails to people I know, but fortunately it gives me the opportunity to formulate a personal email. I was worried that I would start spewing out these Plaxo spam-like emails, but I think LinkedIn is a pretty good compromise. They adhere to some pretty strict privacy guidelines, that could get them in a helluva lot of legal trouble if they ever broke them.

So try out LinkedIn! It looks to be an excellent professional networking tool, for all industries. One reason I think so, is because I don't instantly have all these new contacts. It's not a free ride, just like real-life networking takes work. (It is $$-free though! and if you join while it's still in it's beta period, you will receive more features for free than most people, when it becomes a partial-pay system)

Popular posts from this blog

free shtuff!

Yesterday I came across a very cool free resource... so you know how designers can find online libraries of fonts as well as high quality, high resolution graphics and photographs? These are usually pay sites. Well check out stock.xchng . Wowsers. Don't be scared off by the required registration... it's all free! Looks like I won't be needing to take a digital camera to any of the tourist traps that I plan on visiting in my lifetime, I can just mooch better pics of said locations from this site! Makes for excellent browsing for awesome desktop background images. It's like Webshots on steroids. It's like discovering Google Maps after having just used MapQuest . (ps- Google Local now offers that map functionality fully integrated ..) Stumbling across that site set my mind rolling on free stuff. I just realized how my professional focus on open source software has been an extension of an interest in free stuff that I had back in high school . (for t

You wouldn't happen to have a few dollars so I can pay my electric bill, would you?

Friday during the day I had very little planned for the evening. I expected to go to the Havard's to jog with Robert-Michael and make some final arrangements for dog-sitting for them. I also made some last-minute plans to briefly join a group of friend's celebrating Allison's birthday, who I've gotten to know recently through a Lenten faith-sharing group. They intended to continue the celebrations later into the evening watching basketball, but I had a number of missed calls from Charles, so I ducked out halfway through. I'm also not much of a March Madness fan, which I know is blasphemy. :) Charles is a neighbor of mine with no steady employment who bikes around the neighborhood and near Notre Dame asking people for money and collecting cans and any scrap items he can recycle or pawn. When I first met him, he readily accepted prayers from me and a few friends, and told us how important smiling is as we parted ways. I've never given him money in the num

Pouno mega dat - What a terrible thing

As I sat in the back of the scout truck, bumping along an especially pock-marked portion of the highway during our return to Banjul , one of my brothers who sat back there with me - Abdoulie - taught me a new phrase. After a particularly jarring pothole, it is appropriate to mutter " Pouno mega dat !". I gave him an "Oy vey!" in return. See me for the proper pronunciation. That's a completely arbitrary approximation, as there is no standard written form of Mandinka. My brain is exploding. I've been attending a Friday afternoon service at a Muslim Mosque downtown with my co-worker Mehdi for awhile now, I think I've been 4 times now. I'm looking at Hindu-Christian dialogue via a book recommendation I received a couple weeks ago about a Catholic Sanyasi , a seeming contradiction in terms. I've discovered that I can possibly embrace my Jewish heritage more fully by learning the ways of Messianic Judaism. I'm arriving very close to my rel